The Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) Women's Hockey Program aims to develop Queensland players for selection in the Australian Team, the Hockeyroos.
QAS Hockey currently includes a number of senior international level athletes whilst the program also involves potentially elite players who have been selected in national development and junior squads.
The objective of the QAS Hockey program is to:
- Identify talent from the State Program and develop them into National teams and squads.
- Produce athletes equal to National standards for a smooth transition into the top level.
- Ensure athletes are equipped with a high level of skill required for the elite level as well as a detailed knowledge of the game.
- Develop a strong training culture where work ethic, attitude and intensity are at game standard.
- Provide further assistance to athletes through the Performance Service Units within the QAS to give athletes every opportunity of success on and off the pitch.
Selection criteria for QAS Hockey athletes:
National Coaches look for athletes that demonstrate a high level of the fundamental/basic skills required (passing/receiving/carrying position etc) to play the game. With this, must be a correct attitude and high work ethic on and off the pitch to carry the workload required.
Off the ball, athletes need to acquire a good sense of game knowledge. They must have a good understanding of their roles and responsibilities within certain situations and positions they may be faced with.
For more information contact:
QAS Women’s Hockey Program
Head Coach: Des King Desmond.King@npsr.qld.gov.au