Innovation and knowledge
The Queensland Academy of Sport (QAS) conducts a wide range of applied research projects and knowledge sharing services facilitated through Sport Performance Innovation and Knowledge Excellence (SPIKE).
SPIKE develops strong relationships with research groups from around the world and aims to serve as an interactive link connecting governments, universities, industry and the high-performance community for applied sport science research.
SPIKE has five functions:
- build, support and encourage networks focussed on improving athlete performance
- facilitate ethical research projects with applied and impactful outcomes for high-performance sport
- fund the purchase and development of specialised technologies to assist athletes, coaches and support staff in monitoring and improving performance
- disseminate and translate cutting-edge research findings and innovations to Queensland sport and industry stakeholders via the Knowledge Hub
- support the next generation of sport practitioners and researchers through postgraduate research scholarships in collaboration with universities and other sport partners.
Research and innovation
QAS has developed a reputation for high quality applied research. Our world-class facilities allow us to undertake sophisticated data collection and analysis in the laboratory, in the daily training environment, and during competition.
Our staff use the most advanced and evidence-based equipment for athlete assessment and, where necessary, design and develop our own hardware and software.
Industry and research organisations can request more information on the process for collaborating with QAS SPIKE on applied research projects via email. Please contact QASSpike@dtis.qld.gov.au
The QAS Knowledge Hub houses a range of resources focused on supporting Queensland’s high performance athletes, teams and coaches.
SPIKE regularly facilitates Knowledge Hub seminars, webinars and presentations on the latest high performance sport research and innovations.
The Clearinghouse for Sport is the information and knowledge sharing platform for Australian sport. Members are able to access online databases such as SPORT Discus, as well as a variety of full-text journals that help to facilitate the work of QAS staff and research partners.
For more information, please contact QASSpike@dtis.qld.gov.au
Last updated: 26 May 2022